Handy hints for packing lunches
- Have separate food containers for morning tea and lunch, or put morning tea in a ziplock bag for easy access – otherwise they may eat their sandwiches at morning tea.
- Lunches aren’t refrigerated at school, so for summer, buy a lunch box with a freezer brick, or freeze their bottle of drink to keep the rest of the lunch cool and fresh.
- It is preferable and cheaper to just give water to drink. If not, use diluted juice.
- Put a variety of foods in their lunch box to choose from.
- Lots of small serves are better than large quantities.
- Steer clear of junk food. Packing chips and lollies is not good for their health, and not fair on the other children.
- Check if your school has a policy on being a ‘nut free school’ (i.e. no peanut butter, nuts or products containing nuts).
Put a variety of foods in their lunch box to choose from.