If you are giving formula or breastmilk to your baby in a bottle, it is recommended that you sterilise the bottle and teat until your baby is 12 months of age.
What you need to bottle feed baby
1. 6-8 plastic bottles. Buy the 240 mL size with clear markings for the amounts.
2. 6-8 teats. Try a few different types until you discover which style best suits your baby. Choose teats that are the appropriate flow for your baby’s age.
3. Plastic knife (which can be sterilised) to level off powder if you’re formula feeding.
4. Bottle brush for cleaning.
5. Jug or bowl for warming bottle (or electric bottle warmer).
6. Sterilising equipment: A saucepan (boil in the water for 5 minutes), a cold chemical solution, or a microwave or electric steam steriliser (follow the manufacturer’s instructions).
Clean bottles before sterilising
Chapter 1 Baby Basics